Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia
by Kimberly on Thursday, October 07, 2010
The 43rd edition of the SITGES International Fantasitc Film Festival of Catalonia kicked off yesterday (October 7, 2010) through until the October 17, 2010, during which time they will show more than 100 films in 10 days!
The SITGES Film Festival is the number one fantasy film festival in the world and features cultural expression in the form of films from all over the world. The festival was born in 1968 as an International Week of Fantasy and Horror Films, but now it is an essential event for people to get to know the new tendencies and technologies in the audiovisual film world.
Movie stars, directors and producers are received in Sitges during the festival, welcoming names like:
Quentin Tarantino, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Paul Verhoeven, Ralph Fiennes, George A. Romero, Cameron Diaz, Viggo Mortensen, Terry Gilliam, Rutger Hauer, Sarah Michelle Gellar, John Landis, Joe Dante, Zoë Bell, Dino de Laurentii, Takashi Miike, Wim Wenders, Tony Curtis, David Cronenberg, Vanessa Redgrave, Darren Aronofsky, Brad Dourif, John McNaughton, Peter Greenaway, John Woo, Park Chan-Wook, Johnnie To, Paul Naschy, Ray Liotta, Jon Voight, Sam Raimi, Robert Englund, Tarsem Singh, Roger Corman, Mira Sorvino, Santiago Segura, Narciso Ibáñez Serrador, Guillermo del Toro, Kim Ki Duk, Álex de la Iglesia, Aitana Sánchez Gijón, among many others!
Among the Festival's Official Selection of films are:
- John Carpeter's latest film: The Ward, a thriller/horror set in a psychiatric hospital
- Secuestrados (Kidnapped) and Carne de Neón (Neon Flesh), both Spanish films. The first is about a family held hostage in their home by psychopaths and the latter brings the spirit of Guy Ritchi and Quentin Tarantino's thrillers to Spanish cinema with an oustanding cast and a film filled with violence, humor and terror.
- A Christmas Tale (Jalmari Helander) is a long awaited fantastic/horror film about the theory of the origin of Santa Claus.
- Vanishing on 7th Street, by Brad Anderson, will premiere in Sitges 2010. Brad one best director in Sitges 2001 and his film The Machinist picked up a best actor award for Christian Bale.
- Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen, a China-Hong Kong film that combines action, drama, martial arts, and fantasy.
- Thirteen Assasins: A samurai movie in which Takashi Miike shows his skills as a film director.
- Red Nights: Original and radical fantastic film by Julien Carbon and Laurent Courtiaud, set in Hong Kong and a mixture of Italian giallo and oriental mystery.
- Mother's Day (Remake of 1980 Film) by Charles Kaufman, a remake of one of Troma'as greatest films.
- Insidious a film about a family terrorized by paranormal activity affecting their young son. Directed by James Wan, who created the first Saw film.
So if you have a strong stomach to watch goorey movies, maybe you can make your way to The Sitges Film Festival, near Barcelona, and let us know what you think!
Keywords: film festival,SITGES